Cake Decorating 101

A sweet friend from Church, Nikkoli, invited me to take a cake decorating class with her. I have always wanted to try it, so I thought I would give it a shot. I originally thought it was just one class where we would go and learn a few techniques to try at home. I didn't realize I had signed up for a 4 week class that involved making the cake, making 3 different textures of icing, layering/filling the cake, icing the cake and then finally decorating it. I also didn't realize this would be something I would have to do at home each week! So, I was a little nervous about adding one more thing to my already busy schedule! I decided to at least give it a try! Well, after spending approximately 5 hours baking, filling and icing my cake, I was ready to go to class to learn how to decorate it! One thing I didn't think about though, was getting the cake to class! I borrowed my neighbor's cake carrier and off I went.

Please note that you should not make sharp turns while driving with a cake in your car!!!!

Exhibit A. (After car ride)

Yes, that is how my cake looked when I got to the class! I was so embarrassed and frustrated that I almost turn around and went home. WEll, I sucked it up and decided to stay.

Exhibit B. (A little better, but still not great!)

This is after I doctored it up and tried to salvage it as best as I could!

Exhibit C. (Can you say cake with a tumor?!)

Not too bad considering everything that happened to it in the process! It actually tasted pretty good too! (Just ask the boys!) Hopefully next week's cake will go a little better! I don't think it could be any worse! I'll keep you posted!

Comments

Popular Posts