Teachable Moments

Growing up, my Mother seemed to have all of those little important "talks" with us in the car. For example, she told me and my sister about Santa Claus in the car. She also told us about the Easter Bunny in the car. And believe it or not, she told us about the birds and the bees while riding in the car. I never understood this until I had children of my own. There is alot to be said about having your children buckled up, sitting still right behind you. There is no TV or toys to distract them. They can't run off if they don't like what you have to say. Essentially, they are trapped and are forced to listen to you whether they want to or not!

When I think back, I remember my parents also had lots of conversations about Jesus in the car. I may not have given them my complete attention every time we had one of these conversations,but I listened enough to remember some of these into my adult life. I find myself doing the same thing with my boys now that I am a Mother myself. We have lots of "life" conversations while driving in the car with all ears on me!

This morning on the way to school, I told Judd that today is Good Friday. I asked him if he knew what that meant. He couldn't remember, so I started to tell him. Well, when I got to the part about Jesus being buried, Jack (who is 3 now), blurted out, "Jesus at Church, the big rock, etc....". He essentially told me the Easter story in his own little words! WOW! I was amazed! I knew I had not had this conversation with him, so I asked him who told him about this story. He said Mrs. Laura did. Mrs. Laura is his preschool teacher. I can't tell you how good that made me feel! It just made my day! Even at 3 years old, my children are learning about Jesus!
Having this conversation with my children this morning made me long for more of these kinds of conversations and "teachable moments"! Maybe the car is the best place for these kinds of talks! Although, I think I'll save the birds and the bees talk for when they are riding with Daddy!

Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular Posts