Cutting the Cord!

I finally did it.....I finally cut the cord from my first born! It was time. After all, he is 8 1/2 years old.

I finally let him go to his first sleep over at a friend's house. Don't get me wrong. He has spent the night away from home before, but it has only been with Grandparents or cousins. So, this is completely different! It's in a WHOLE different ball park! That is, me letting him stay in someone else's care overnight trusting that he will mind his manners at the table, lift the toilet seat, put the shower curtain in the shower before starting the shower, brush his teeth, use his inhaler, use the bathroom before bed, say his prayers,etc.. all on his own without me there to remind him! (Makes me nervous just thinking about it!)

There is something about tucking my children into their own beds at night, knowing they are at home safe with me that I just love! I know this is the first of many steps I will take in letting my children "go" and honestly, this is probably the easiest one! What in the world will I do when I turn them loose behind the wheel of a car or send them off to college?! I can't even think about that right now!

For now, I will enjoy them being with me and having them in my care. I will relish those tender moments of tucking them into their beds at night and listening to their sweet little prayers. I will cherish each hug and kiss I can get from them because I know the time will soon come that it won't be considered "cool" to kiss your Mom.
I will start praying now for God to give me the strength that I am going to need to let them do these little (and big) things in life. I pray that God will show me how to equip them with wings to fly in this big, big world!


Thank you God for these precious gifts you have blessed me with! They mean everything to me!


Of note....I have also agreed to let Judd start riding the bus home from school starting tomorrow! This is HUGE!!!!!! He has been begging me to do this since Kindergarten! What in the world has gotten into me?!

Comments

  1. it is about time he rides the bus home! My goodness, Analyse has been riding for 2 years now! Analyse stayed the night with a friend a few months ago. It did not really bother me. she was right next door and they stayed at my house until bedtime and was back at 7am.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts