Holly Trees and Tomato Plants



After Granddaddy died, before Granny and Russ got married, Granny used to sit on the enclosed porch at my Uncle Bill and Donna's house where she lived, and look outside during the day. Granny had suffered a minor stroke which left her with short term memory loss. Well, quite frequently, she would comment on my Aunt Donna's beautiful Holly tree outside the window. Every time she mentioned it, it was like she had just noticed it for the very first time. With her short term memory loss, she must've noticed it alot, because my Uncle Bill considered getting an ax and cutting it down at one point. He had heard about the tree one too many times! Ha!

Sometimes while out driving with my Aunt Donna, they would pass by a beautiful cemetery. It was filled with Holly trees and it was right next to a field of tomato plants. She would tell my Aunt Donna, "That's where I want to be buried when I die. Right over there in that cemetery." She said, "Bury me under one of those pretty Holly trees so I can sit under it and eat tomatoes!" She must've had a thing for Holly trees.



After Granny died, Russ was very kind to our family. He knew the plan had always been to bury Granny near Granddaddy in Greenville, MS, however, he selfishly wanted her closer to him. Since we don't have immediate family in Greenville anymore, we agreed the best thing to do would be to bury Granny in Clinton so she would be near Russ and Aunt Donna and closer to the rest of the family as well. Russ' first wife, Weeda, was already buried at a cemetery nearby and Russ has a plot there near her for when his time comes. He hoped he could have Granny buried near them. Turns out, it is the same cemetery Granny used to ride by with my Aunt Donna; the one with the Holly trees near the tomato plants.

Unfortunately, there was not a plot available right next to Russ, however there was one right down the way a little within walking distance from Russ' plot. They decided to take a look at it. When they saw that she would be buried right under a Holly Tree, they knew that was the perfect spot! My, how things turn out!

I know Granny is not there, she is in heaven. However, it gives us great joy knowing her body was buried right where she had hoped to be buried. Right under a Holly tree, right near the tomato plants. And I know she would've wanted to be buried near Russ so he can visit her grave and put flowers on it from time to time.

I am told the funeral was short and sweet. It was cold and drizzly. At the end of the funeral, they had a trumpet player in the distance play "Just a Closer Walk With Thee". I know that must've been so emotional to be there under the Holly tree, near the tomato plants at Granny's burial with the trumpet playing in the background. I'm not sure I could've handled it. It might've been too much for me. The picture in my mind is a sad, but sweet one.

I know Granny would've been pleased! :)



JUST A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

Comments

Popular Posts