Just a Heart

I used to sign Granny's cards "Sing Cake" and would dot the "i" in sing with a tiny heart. I did that for many years. It was our little thing.

I found a card that I was going to send to Granny after she died. Since I couldn't send it to her, I decided to send it to Russ instead. When I went to sign it, I was sad because I knew I couldn't sign my signature "sing cake" with a heart as I would've with Granny. :( Oh, how it made me miss Granny! I decided at the very last minute to just put a little heart without the "sing cake". "Sing cake" was special between Granny and I, but everyone knows what a heart means. So, I put the tiny heart there. Just a heart. And then signed my name.

A couple of days later, I called Russ to check on him. When we were done talking and saying our goodbyes he said in his deep, raspy, bulldog like voice, "Ya'll don't forget about me now!". He went on to say, "I don't know how to "sing cake", but...".

That's when I cut him off before I lost it and started crying! I assured him that I would NEVER forget him. Even though he is my step Grandfather, he is the only Grandparent I have left! There is no way on this planet that I could forget about him! Not someone that loved my Grandmother with every ounce of their being. Not someone that loved her family as his own. He has become family to us. Nothing will ever change that!

So, I may not be able to sign my letters to 1501 Beverly St. with "sing cake" anymore, but I can still send my love showing Russ I have not forgotten about him and sign his letters with a little heart (just a heart). That's exactly what I'll do! It's just a heart to some, but oh so much more to me! :)

Thank you God for Papa Russ! What a blessing it is to have him as part of our family!

Comments

Popular Posts