A Typical Visit to the Store

This blog was designed for me to journal about things that happen in our daily lives. That includes the good, the bad and the ugly.

This post is about the UGLY!

I titled this post "A Typical Visit to the Store". Well, it may not qualify as "typical" because I usually try to go to the store by myself when the boys are at school or home with Bart. But it is "typical" of a visit to the store when the boys are with me.

We hadn't even been there 5 minutes when my cell phone rang. It was Mee Maw. I took the call. In the short couple of minutes that I was on the phone with her, the boys got in a terrible fight over the buggy. One wanted the baby seat flap to go up and the other one wanted it to go down. (Why they even cared about the baby seat flap is beyond me!!) Anyway, I was trying to get them to knock it off all while on the phone. I think Mee Maw could tell I was getting frustrated and that the boys needed my attention, so she ended the call. When I looked up, a lady had stopped right in front of us and was just staring at us. It was weird. She just stood and stared. I am sure she was thinking, "What on earth is that girl doing on her phone instead of taking care of her children?!" It was very awkward! She must not have kids of her own, or hers are just perfect little angels! I got on to the boys for their behavior, gave the lady a look back, and we went on our way.

The rest of the shopping experience was more of the same. I am pretty sure I was sweating by the time we left. I have said before and it is true. I can take either one of the boys to the store with me by themselves on any given day and they are perfect! When I take them together, though, it's like they have a conspiracy against me! It's NEVER good!

We finally finished our shopping, so we checked out and paid for our stuff. Thank goodness we didn't have to get too much that day! All that was left to do was to park our buggy and then we could finally get out of there.

(If only it were that simple.)

To my embarrassment, I looked over at Jack (the one parking the buggy). He decided it would be fun to stand on the seat of the buggy and jump off onto the floor.

(Yes ma'am he did!)

Before I could get to him, he went flying through the air like Superman landing in a roll and flat on his back. Oh, have no fear, he didn't hurt himself. He just likes a dramatic ending! I went to scold him for jumping off of the buggy like Superman right there inside of the store for all to see. He looked up at me while still on the floor and that's when it happened.

My little, sweet, precious 5 year old said in a VERY loud voice, "What's the deal with you?!".

And he was speaking to me!!!

Did I hear him right?

That was it!

I officially SNAPPED!!

I had reached my boiling point!

A 5 year old DOES NOT talk to me like that!

I reached down and grabbed him in a VERY TIGHT GRIP squeezing the life out of his little arm (only the way a mother can). Steam was coming from my head. I was going to beat him right then and there!

Where to begin?

It was at that moment that I remembered we weren't alone.

All eyes were on us.

All eyes!

That's right. Everyone checking out was watching to see what I was going to do. I could see it on their faces. (I've been that person watching the mother/child battle many times wondering how the mother would handle the child's unruly behavior.)

Beyond embarrassing!!!

Jack needs to thank those people as well as the security cameras that were right above us because those are the only things that saved him at that very moment!

You can imagine how the car ride home went. It was not fun in the least. Jack got in some major trouble!

Moral to the story....

DO NOT take your kids to the store with you unless you absolutely, without a doubt have no other choice! It's just not worth it! Wait until your kids are in school or your husband is home to keep them. It is not worth the possible embarrassment, grey hairs or high blood pressure they may cause you!

Have no fear, little Jack Roberts...I WILL be reminding of you of this story in about 25-35 years when you tell me what your precious little boy did to embarrass you in public!

And I will laugh out loud!!

Comments

  1. I am ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING only because I understand completely what you are talking about!!! Thanks for the laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts