Puberty 101

Puberty...That word gives me hives!

To think of my boys going through that. Yuck! No way! They are, and forever will be my babies! No arguing with Mama!

Okay, now back to reality.

I think we are still a couple of years away from the word mentioned above. However, Judd's school feels it's necessary to start educating them on the subject in the 5th grade. (sigh) To young? In my opinion, yes. Did they ask me for my opinion on the subject? Um, no.

So the story goes like this...

Judd brought home THE LETTER a couple of weeks ago. The one titled, "Human Growth and Development". The one I have been dreading all year! The letter about the video that would tell my son how his body was going to be changing in the next couple of years. The video that really explained the difference between boys and girls. The video that would tell him why he would soon start to see girls in a different light. The video that would take my little boy's innocence away.

I showed the letter to Bart and told him he better start working on "the talk" because he would be having it VERY SOON (as in, over the weekend). I did not want Judd to first hear about this stuff from a video at school. I wanted us to be the ones to tell him. Bart, on the other hand, was not feeling the same as I was. He was perfectly fine letting the boy see the video and then answering his questions afterwards. And to that, I said, NO WAY! I think he needs to hear it from YOU (his father) first. :) I am thankful Bart got on the same page as me for this and decided to have "the talk" (at least, a very watered down version).

Well, the weekend came and went and no talk had been had in our house. So, I kindly reminded Bart the night before the video, that his time was ticking.

So, that night after we had our devotional and prayers, Bart hung out in Judd's bedroom to chat a bit. As any Mom would do, I gave them their privacy.

Who are we kidding?!?!?!

I sat on the steps and eves dropped! Haha!

And I must say that I was very proud of Bart! He did great! Not sure I could've done that well. He didn't go into great detail, but told him a few things and asked Judd if he had any questions. Judd was completely mortified during the entire conversation (even though it didn't go much farther that discussing body hair)! Haha! He told Bart, his biggest fear is getting pimples! Haha! (The boy has no idea what's coming!) Pimples will be the least of his worries! ;) When he said that, it made me realize just how innocent he still is. And for that, I am grateful!

The next day, after the video, Judd came in and told me he was "scarred for life now"! Haha! I found it hard to look him in the eye that afternoon. I wasn't sure exactly what all he had learned. He and Bart had another talk that night on the way home from basketball. I wasn't there to eves drop on that conversation, but Bart said it went well.

I know there will be lots more talks like this in our future as our boys grow up. And can I just tell you how thankful I am that we have boys and not girls at times like these?! I am SO GLAD Bart gets to take the reigns in this department!

Whew!!!

Can't they just stay young and innocent forever? ;)

Comments

  1. Living it up; living placard statesman n more n more.this site

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts