To Mom



In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I would say a few words about my Mom.

Over the years, I have learned lots from my Mom.  Just to name a few...


  • Nothing makes a car ride more fun than singing acapella together (preferably in rounds).  I have very fond memories of my Mom, Kristie, Reid and I breaking out in song in the car to, "Unto Thee Oh Lord", or "Humble Yourselves in the Sight of the Lord", or "High Hopes" and the list goes on, and on, and on!  (Just ask Bart!)  :)  Bart can't believe how many songs I know!  ;)  I owe it all to my Mom!  I don't really remember my Dad being in the car during these "Sound of Music" moments.    I think we were usually listening to the "Old Time Gospel Hour" turned up full blast when he was in the car (and that is why I know EVERY hymn ever written)!  (Again, just ask Bart!  He will agree!)  ;)  I'll tell more about that on Father's Day.
Now, back to my Mom!  

  • Teach your children nursery rhymes at a very young age!  Bart cannot believe how many nursery rhymes I know!  Mother Goose and I were tight growing up!  ;)  My Mom is a kindergarten teacher! Need I say more?
  • My Mom taught me the art of waking my boys up softly and gently.  Not because she did this.  Oh no, it was quite the opposite!  I have horrible memories of being woken up with, "Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory, Glory" being sung at the top of her lungs, all the while clapping and turning the big light on!  I think that was just plain cruel!  Scarred me for life!  ;)  Maybe that's why I wake up so early on my own now.  I am afraid of being woken up, so I wake up on my on for fear of a very loud noise waking me in the dead of sleep!  Could be.  I should talk to a psychiatrist about that one!
  • It's better to eat off a small pate like the kids.  My Mom always did this.  You don't eat as much when you do that.  It helps with portion control.  She also taught me that "closet eating" doesn't count!  If nobody sees you eat it, it doesn't count!  Haha!  Okay, so now I know that is not true!  But it was fun thinking it didn't count for many years!  ;)

  • Nothing is better than a good book!  My Mom loves to read!  It is her love and passion!  She taught me to have a love for reading!  She also encouraged me to read to my boys even when they were babies.  My boys have a library of books thanks to their Mimi!
  • No road trip is complete without a Stucky's Pecan Log!  Yum-O!  She used to get one of these when we would travel.  To this day, if I see a Stucky's, I want a pecan log!  
  • One of my Mom's favorite sayings to us growing up was, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!".  It's a good one!  I find myself saying this to my boys quite often now!
  • Always be prepared for company!  If that means throwing together a pound cake or fudge pie at the last minute, so be it!  Your house should be open for all and you should make them feel at home and welcome!  My Mom always did a great job at this!  I admit, this is a hard one for me.  I want things to be "perfect" when I have company, and if they are not, I stress out too much.  I need to learn to relax like her and just enjoy having friends and family around regardless if everything is perfect or not. 
  • Your Birthday is YOUR day!  My Mom always did a great job of making us feel extra special on our Birthdays!  From the time you woke up in the morning until you went to bed, it was YOUR day!  She woke you up singing Happy Birthday with her famous homemade red velvet cake that she got up with the roosters that morning to make!  We opened our presents before we wiped the sleepies from our eyes.  After school, she and my Dad let us pick where we wanted to eat or she fixed us a meal of our choice.  It was always a very special day!  I try to do this for my boys now!
          side note....My Mom slacks in this department now!  She tends to forget our Birthdays.  Good thing 
          she celebrated big while we were growing up!  Makes us go a little easier on her when she forgets       
          our Birthdays now!  ;)  Hee Hee!  Love you Mom!!  xoxo


  • Say I love you when you say good night or good bye!  You never know.  It could be your last chance!  Each day is a gift.  We are not guaranteed tomorrow.  My Mom has always been great at practicing this.
  • Give, give and then give some more!  My Mom is the most selfless, giving person I know!  She will literally give you the shirt (or bra) off her back!  The proof is in my closet!  ;)  She is also very giving of her time.  She will do anything for her friends and family!  She sees a need and she wants to help!  She is very giving of herself!
  • Take your family to Church!  It is important to bring your children up in the Word and have them at Church.  My Mom and Dad both did a great job at this!  We were there every time the door was open!
  • The way to a man's heart is his stomach!  Don't believe me?  Check out my Dad's stomach!  Nothing says love quite like homemade rolls, cinnamon rolls, homemade fudge, chocolate sheet cake, etc...  My Mom knows her way around the kitchen and has a way with her kitchen aid!  I need to work on this one!  (Just ask Bart!)  ;)

  • Love one another.  My Mom has always been one to show love to others.  She has never been one to put others down or criticize.  She always looks for the good in others. 
  • And lastly, honor God!  My Mom has taught me to honor God in all I do!  If something is not pleasing to God, then don't do it.  We should always thank and praise God for everything because He is the reason we live.  He is why we are here.  We should never forget that!  My Mom teaches this by her actions and for this, I am grateful!  

I could go on and on.  Mom, you are truly a blessing to me!  I love you so much and I am so very thankful for you!




Happy Mother's Day!

Love,

Your Favorite Daughter!  

(Okay, okay, just kidding!!  But I had to earn some brownie points for writing this post, right?  And besides I do look just like you!)  :)  

xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts