The Bus Incident




We may or may not have had a little big incident with the bus the first day of school.  And it may or may not have been my fault.

Okay, it was my fault.

All my fault.

I was "that" mom.

It went like this...

We thought Jack was going to ride the same bus this year that he rode last year, bus #91.  Well, about an hour before school let out the first day, I thought I had it all wrong.  I read something that made me second guess his bus #.  I thought they changed him to bus #80.  So, I calmly FRANTICALLY called up to the school and told them I put down the wrong bus.  "Jack Roberts shouldn't ride #91, he should ride #80."  The secretary assured me they would let his teacher know in time and he would get on bus #80.  She told me not to worry.  I told her Jack would be VERY confused and probably get upset because he doesn't handle change well.  She assured me it would be ok and he would get on bus #80.

Whew!

That was close.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Then I reread the paper that lead me to believe he should ride bus #80.

And I read it again.

And I read it again.

Uh oh.

Oh no!

I read it wrong!

He should ride bus #91 like we originally thought!  NOT bus #80!

OH DEAR!!!

Only now, it was time for school to let out and it was too late for me to call the secretary back!

What was I to do?!

PANIC set in BIG TIME!

By the grace if God, I was able to reach the bus driver on bus #80 (the wrong bus).  She assured me it would be ok.  She would try to get Jack on the right bus, bus #91.  But, if she wasn't able to, she said she would personally drive him home.  She knew where we lived.  (She did?)  I told her Jack would probably be upset since he doesn't handle change well.  I knew he would be really confused.  Again, she assured me, it would be ok and she would get him home.

I breathed a sigh of relief (again).  I hoped she would get him on bus #91, but if she wasn't able to, at least I knew she was going to bring him home to me.

So I waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

No bus.

Still no bus.

FINALLY, bus #80 pulled up.  That meant he got on the wrong bus.

Uh oh.

Jack stepped off that bus and I promise you I could see the fumes coming from his ears.

HE. WAS. MAD!

I mean REALLY MAD....at me!  (With good reason.)

I would've been mad at me too.  And boy, did he let me have it, tears and all, for a good 15 minutes!

Just as I thought, as soon as they told him to get on bus #80 instead of #91, he panicked!  He knew those weren't the right kids on his bus and he did not recognize the route the driver was going.  He didn't know where he would end up.  Bless his heart.  :(  I felt terrible.

I apologized over and over and over and over and over again.

In the end, making him his favorite chocolate cake made things all better.  But still......shame on me!

That was not one of my better moments!

Thankfully, there was no bus drama the next day!  ;)

As far as clothes drama goes, now that's another story.  More on that another day!


Comments

Popular Posts